By: David Folz
Week Seven of the college football season did not see much in terms of big drops or gains in the top 25.Only two teams entered the ranks (Ohio and Texas Tech) as two teams exited the ranks (Louisiana Tech and Texas) this week and only West Virginia suffered a big fall, dropping twelve spots. With that here are the Week Seven Power Rankings.
1. Alabama (1)- The Crimson Tide keep rolling with a 42-10 win over Missouri and are number one in the BCS standings. This weekend they travel for the old rivalry during the Third Saturday in October. Next Game: Saturday at Tennessee.
2. Oregon (2)- The Ducks have also been rolling, and are looking to head to the desert after their bye week. Next Game: Thursday at Arizona State.
3. Florida (4)- The Gators may be the SEC’s surprise team with a 31-17 win over Vanderbilt last Saturday. The Gators have been rolling as of late but have easily their toughest challenge this weekend. Next Game: Saturday vs. South Carolina.
4. Kansas State (6)- Kansas State survived a major scare last Saturday, beating Iowa State 27-21on the road. The Wildcats will stay on the road this week against a team coming off a very
embarrassing loss. Next Game: Saturday at West Virginia.
5. Notre Dame (7)- Notre Dame is soundly in the national title hunt at 6-0 after their 20-13 win
over Stanford on Saturday. The defense is rolling and this weekend, host a BCS buster who is
coming off its own heartbreaking loss. Next Game: Saturday vs. BYU.
6. LSU (9)- The Tigers rebounded from a loss at Florida with a 23-21 win against South Carolina on Saturday night. The Tigers will have their next game in a new environment that is notorious for getting in opponents heads. Next Game: Saturday at Texas A&M.
7. Ohio State (8)- If not for the sanctions against Ohio State, you may see them as a BCS playerwith their thrilling 52-49 win against Indiana. The Buckeyes are playing for pride and wins this year and next week could end any hopes of a team wanting to play for a Big Ten title. Next
Game: Saturday vs. Purdue
8. Oregon State (10)- The Beavers are by far and away the NCAA’s biggest surprise and posted a 42-24 win over BYU on Saturday. Oregon State looks to continue their success against a team who is reeling from tough losses and injuries. Next Game: Saturday vs. Utah.
9. South Carolina (3)- The Gamecocks suffered their first setback in a 23-21 loss to LSU. The
Gamecocks will head for the Swamp next, as they look to rebound in Steve Spurrier’s old home.Next Game: Saturday at Florida.
10. Oklahoma (13)- The Red River Shootout went all Oklahoma, with them destroying Texas 63-21.The Sooners seem to have put the Kansas State loss behind them and this weekend take on a usual Big 12 bottom feeder. Next Game: Saturday vs. Kansas.
11. USC (11)- USC puts the third Pac-12 team in the top 11 with their 24-14 win in Seattle against Washington. This week they will take on the Pac-12’s worst team in hopes of an easy win. Next Game: Saturday vs. Colorado.
12. Florida State (12)- Florida State looks to be the class of the bad ACC this year with their
convincing 51-7 win over Boston College on Saturday. They next travel in-state against a famili arrival of times past. Next Game: Saturday at Miami.
13. Georgia (14)- The Bulldogs had a bye week to prepare for this weekend against what is likely the SEC’s worst team. Next Game: Saturday at Kentucky.
14. Clemson (16)- Clemson had a bye week last week and will take on a team this weekend that has mightily underachieved this season. Next Game: Saturday vs. Virginia Tech.
15. Mississippi State (19)- The Bulldogs make it six teams in the top 15 for the SEC, as they won 41-31 against Tennessee on Saturday. Mississippi State takes this weekend to have a non- conference game prior to Alabama upcoming. Next Game: Saturday vs. Mid Tennessee State.
16. Louisville (18)- Louisville survived an early morning game Saturday against Pittsburgh, winning 45-35. The Big East is better as a whole this year and Louisville will host a team typically known for an upset every year. Next Game: Saturday vs. South Florida.
17. West Virginia (5)- The Mountaineers were embarrassed against Texas Tech, losing 49-14. The Mountaineers return home and they better be upset as they face the Big 12’s best team. Next Game: Saturday vs. Kansas State.
18. Texas Tech (18)- Texas Tech shrugged off the Oklahoma loss with a 49-14 beatdown of West Virginia. This weekend they take on a team who is struggling without their starting quarterback and may falter again. Next Game: Saturday at TCU.
19. Rutgers (20)- The Scarlet Knights just keep floating along this year, with a 23-15 win over
Syracuse last weekend. Rutgers will travel to face a rival that was usually a showdown of bad
football teams, but now both are now relevant. Next Game: Saturday at Temple.
20. Texas A&M (22)- The Aggies survived an offensive shootout with Louisiana Tech, winning 59-57.The Aggies return home to face an opponent who is coming off their best win of the year. Next Game: Saturday vs. LSU.
21. Cincinnati (21)- The Bearcats torched FCS Fordham 49-17. This weekend they take on a leader of the MAC conference on the road. Next Game: Saturday at Toledo.
22. Stanford (17)- Suffered a heartbreaking 20-13 double overtime loss to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. This weekend they take on their main rival in the battle for the Stanford Axe. Next Game: Saturday at California.
23. Michigan (25)- The Wolverines are staying alive and should be the Big Ten’s best bet at a Rose Bowl with a 45-0 shellacking of Illinois. They stay at home this weekend against a familiar rival of theirs. Next Game: Saturday vs. Michigan State.
24. Boise State (24)- Boise State is rolling now and beat Fresno State 20-10 on Saturday. This weekend they will be taking on a team who has struggled for years. Next Game: Saturday vs.UNLV.
25. Ohio (NR)- The leaders of the MAC are Ohio and are rolling at 7-0 so far following their 34-28 win over Akron. The Bobcats have a bye week this week to prepare for Miami-Ohio.