By: David Folz
After week four of the college football season, there was much change in the rankings. For
instance the SEC does not have the top two teams anymore as Oregon gets into the number
two spot. Also three teams enter the rankings (Oregon State, Rutgers, and Baylor) as three
teams exit the ranks (UCLA, Michigan, and Arizona) to make the rankings a lot more interesting
at the top. With that here are the top 25, with the teams previous weeks’ rank in parentheses.
1. Alabama (1)- Trounced Florida Atlantic 40-7 on Saturday as they dominated on all ends
of the football. Should have no problem taking care of business in their conference
debut on Saturday. Next Game: Saturday vs. Ole Miss.
Ducks offense is as explosive as ever but it appears the defense is getting great too. Will
have a great road test this weekend. Next Game: Saturday at Washington State.
3. LSU (2)- The Tigers survived a major upset against Auburn 14-12. This weekend will
feature a much less stressful test for the Tigers. Next Game: Saturday vs. Towson.
4. Florida State (4)- Proved to have the class team of the ACC following their 49-37 win
against Clemson. This next weekend will provide a good road test and chance for
Seminoles fans to travel to pack a stadium. Next Game: Saturday at South Florida.
5. Georgia (5)- Destroyed Vanderbilt 48-3 on Saturday to be the third team in the top five
from the SEC. The SEC East will be a big test this weekend for Georgia. Next Game:
Saturday vs. Tennessee.
6. South Carolina (7)- Beat Missouri on Saturday 31-10 to remain unbeaten. The next test
for the Gamecocks will be a road test, but should be easily won. Next Game: Saturday
7. Kansas State(15)- Scored the big upset at Oklahoma 24-19. The Wildcats are off for this
weekend as they have an extra week to celebrate their win.
8. Stanford (9)- Had a bye week last week following their win to USC. This week will
provide a good test for the Cardinal after a long time off. Next game: Thursday at
9. West Virginia (8)- Beat Maryland 31-21 on Saturday. The Mountaineers start
conference season and get a big test on Saturday. Next Game: Saturday vs. Baylor.
10. Notre Dame (11)- The defense pounded Notre Dame 13-6 to advance to 4-0 on the
season. Notre Dame has a bye week to prepare for Miami in two weeks.
11. Florida (14)- Trounced Kentucky 38-0 on Saturday and look to have their offensive issues
figured out. They as well have a bye week to prepare for LSU in two weeks.
12. Texas (12)- Texas had a bye week last week. They come back to face a tough team on
the road for the start of conference play. Next Game: Saturday at Oklahoma State.
13. USC (13)- Rebounded from the Stanford loss to win 27-9 against Cal. Now the Trojans
have a bye week preparing for their game at Utah.
14. Ohio State (16)- Survived an upset bid by UAB 29-15. The offense will have to play a
lot better if they want to beat their next opponent who has a dominant rushing attack.
Next Game: Saturday at Michigan State.
15. TCU (17)- Defeated Virginia 27-7 this weekend. The next game for the Horned Frogs will
be a big test on the road against a rival from the days in the WAC and Conference USA.
Next Game: Saturday at SMU.
16. Oklahoma (6)- Upset by Kansas State on Saturday 24-19. The loss can linger and fuel
them as the Sooners have a bye week to prepare for Texas Tech in two weeks.
17. Clemson (10)- Could not do a thing defensively to beat Florida State and lost 49-37.
They may not have as tough of a time this weekend against an ACC bottom-feeder.
Next Game: Saturday at Boston College.
18. Oregon State (NR)- Scored the second upset for their season to beat UCLA 27-20. They
have another tough test on the road to prove how great they are in the Pac-12 this year.
Next Game: Saturday at Arizona.
19. Louisville (20)- Survived an upset bid by FIU and won 28-21. They will face a stiff road
test from a team that would be considered a BCS buster. Next Game: Saturday at
20. Michigan State (21)- Survived a bid by Eastern Michigan 23-7 despite having a very
sporadic offense. They cannot keep having the offensive problems, especially with a
favorite coming up on their schedule to open the conference. Next Game: Saturday vs.
21. Mississippi State (23)- The Bulldogs walloped South Alabama 30-10 to remain unbeaten
on the season. The Bulldogs have a bye week to get ready for their showdown against
Kentucky in two weeks.
22. Nebraska (25)- Obliterated FCS Idaho State 73-7 on Saturday. The competition will get a
lot tougher this week for the Cornhuskers as they look to avenge a loss from a year ago.
Next Game: Saturday vs. Wisconsin.
23. Rutgers (NR)- Entered the ranks on the heels of a big road win over Arkansas 35-26.
Now will have two weeks to prepare for Connecticut as a bye week is this week.
24. Boise State (24)- Won on Thursday 7-6 against BYU. The Broncos will have an extended
amount of time to prepare for their next opponent in the southwest part of the country.
Next Game: Saturday at New Mexico.
25. Baylor (NR)- Survived a wild finish against Louisiana-Monroe and won 47-42 on Friday.
Now being in the top 25 will energize the Bears as they open up their conference season
against a new team to the Big 12. Next Game: Saturday at West Virginia.